Your guide to the perfect Tobago wedding
Weddings are all about romance, and Tobago delivers just that. With a variety of stunning backdrops to choose from the mood is easily set.
A real traditional Tobago wedding is a very special thing. The village of Moriah shows everyone how it’s done during the annual Tobago Heritage Festival. But for those who would like to create their own tradition by marrying on this idyllic island, the requirements established by the Marriage Act of 1996 are straightforward and simple.
The Inland Revenue Department (IRD) in Scarborough provides a special marriage licence for non-residents of Trinidad and Tobago, who must establish temporary residency by scheduling the wedding not less than three full days after arrival. The couple must bring in person valid passports, return tickets, and evidence of their single status (see below).
Tobago has several resorts and wedding service providers who offer packages to suit a couple’s needs. Wedding planners can facilitate your event on the day, or help you plan every detail and work with you every step of the way to plan your dream wedding and honeymoon, including locating the perfect venue and sourcing everything from flowers and decorations to entertainment. Many hotels and villas offer honeymoon packages complete with oceanside vistas for your wedding ceremony. Most resorts offer honeymoon packages.
What you need for a Tobago wedding
- establish temporary residency in Tobago by scheduling any wedding activities no less than three full days after your arrival
- have a valid return ticket
- obtain a special marriage license (US$55) at the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) in Scarborough, with proof of identity (valid passport), and evidence of your single status, including any relevant divorce decrees and death certificates. Non-English documents must be accompanied by notarised English translations. The IRD (T: 639-2410) is open Monday–Friday, 8am–4pm. The cashier closes for lunch 12–1pm and at 3pm for the day
- you will receive two marriage certificates that are accepted in most countries. It is advisable to check your nation of origin for any additional requirements
- those who wish to marry under the age of 18 must obtain the written consent of their parent or guardian
- your wedding ceremony will require two witnesses identified by passport, and must be performed between 6am and 6pm.
For more information, contact the Tobago Association of Wedding Professionals: 631-8586